Comments

I still can’t write about it and I don’t know why. I know what I want to say … but it’s not enough to say it.  Perhaps all I can do is to wait for it to pass.  Will I know when it’s over?  I don’t know.

Here are two poems written in honor of my father.  Let them speak for me, for now:

Fathers

by Robert Schubert

We hear of them,
these boulders:
Soothing sentinels
softening the strife,
holding back the hillside of harm, hurt and hell,
marking the shores of seas and streams and
patrolling the paths that wander
through the mazes
that mark our minds and hearts.

Full weight presses earthward,
their shoulders support us as we sit and stand
listen and laugh,
love and lose.

Their polished soft sides soothe us,
while the rough undersides rile us with reminders of reality.

And while death took the flesh and blood of your father,
the boulder remains:

to the other
close to us
in this life
to comprehend
the precious instant
in what matters.

8 Responses to “Coming to terms with my Father’s passing”

1. Mike Clark says:

Danuta-We always must remember what a parent lost to death has left behind. In those memories, we can discern the many meanings of love we experienced over the course of their lifetime. It is in those moments of recollection that we still feel their presence beyond the borders of life and death.

2. Paul says:

I wrote a short story about my father’s passing, though I think it was more about my numb reaction to it. I think that helped be gain closure.

3. Yurek Hinz says:

Danuta,
    It’s good to see another Hinc at University of Maryland. Since we’re both Kashubs, who knows, maybe we’re related (?)

Yurek
    UMUC-E

Yurek,
      We might be related, who knows …
      You have my father’s name. His name was Jerzy Hinz. Hinz was changed to Hinc. Yurek is really Jurek, right? And Jurek it’s a diminutive form of Jerzy.
      Danuta

4. Casey Cooke says:

I am sorry for your loss, Danuta, but think your choice of poetry is lovely. I have always found a certain peace and quiet from the poem “Fathers.” Be well and happy (and a belated congrats on the gig at University of MD).

5. Janet Hannah Tooby says:

In my most recent personal grief it appears as an physical expression in which gravity takes over and words are swallowed.

I experience a falling into that love I feel whilst knowing the loss; for in those volumes of time we did spend together will be no more. What remains is a presence of them distant but near the location appears somewhere in my heart the face of those who have passed over reflects in my own face.

Sharing this with you I know I am not alone.

Grief has a quality of being and through falling into the grief it seems I am held in something close to love.’